HomeWorldArrested on suspicion of planting a bomb in Türkiye

Arrested on suspicion of planting a bomb in Türkiye

Preliminary data implicates the Kurdistan Workers' Party and Popular Protection Units militias

Türkiye security forces have detained a woman suspected of leaving the bomb that exploded on Sunday, November 13, in Istiklal, a busy street in Istanbul, Interior Minister Suleyman Soylu announced.

“We know what message those who have carried out this action want to give us. We have received this message. We will respond more severely. The answer to this message will be clearly revealed. Of course we have a great sorrow. We have six martyrs of terror. May God have mercy on them. Each one of them has a different story," Soylu said, quoted by Sputnik.

Similarly, the Minister of the Interior remarked that the preliminary data point to the involvement of the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) and the militias of the Popular Protection Units (YPG). Both organizations have been banned in Türkiye by terrorists. According to Soylu, the order for the attack came from areas of northern Syria under PKK control.

On the other hand, Turkey's Vice President Fuat Oktay reported that 39 of the 81 injured have been discharged from hospitals.

In this regard, the Minister of the Interior, Süleyman Soylu, thanked the work of the medical staff.

Previously, Justice Minister Bekir Bozdağ had stated: “There are two possibilities. A bag with a self-detonating or remotely detonated device. All versions are now being checked.”

Investigations continue into explosion in Türkiye

Regarding the version that the bomb could have been planted by a female, Minister Bozdağ referred: “a woman sits on one of the benches for more than 40 minutes and then gets up. One or two minutes after she get up, she explodes ».

Separately, the General Directorate of Security in Istanbul announced that they are investigating the owners of 25 identified social media accounts, who made provocative posts.

La explosión It took place in the afternoon of this Sunday, after which many ambulances and firefighters were sent to the site. In addition, the security forces cordoned off the area.

In this regard, the president of Türkiye, Recep Tayyip Erdogan, confirmed that six people were killed and 81 were injured due to the explosion. The Turkish leader wished the wounded a speedy recovery, saying it was a "bomb attack."

"It would be a mistake to say with certainty that it is a terrorist act, but the preliminary data, the images from the closed circuit television cameras, the first information given by the governor, show what appears to be a terrorist attack," he specified.

The police blocked the way to Istiklal Street. Residents are being evacuated, a witness told a Sputnik correspondent at the scene. The people who remained in the buildings in the area were prohibited from going outside until they received express orders.

While investigations continue, police cordons remain in Taksim Square, and heightened security measures continue.

Meanwhile, the Turkish radio and television authority has decreed a "temporary ban" on broadcasting images of the scene and giving information about possible suspects, except for statements by authorities, so as not to hinder the ongoing investigation.

SOURCESputnik

Leave a comment