The president of the Republic, Nicolás Maduro, announced this Thursday the appointment of Félix Plasencia as ambassador of the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela to the Republic of Colombia.
"I want to announce that the former foreign minister, Félix Placencia, who was ambassador to the People's Republic of China and who is today president of the International Investment Center, I have appointed him as the next ambassador to the Republic of Colombia," Maduro said.
The Head of State reported that the Venezuelan Foreign Ministry sent the letters of approval of the new Colombian government led by President Gustavo Petro.
“The Venezuelan Foreign Ministry has requested the approval of the Colombian Foreign Ministry and will soon be in Bogotá,” he said.
Likewise, the National President announced the formation of a special team to deal with the situation in Colombia, headed by the Executive Vice President, Delcy Rodríguez.
Maduro explained that this team develops a work plan, for when the reopening of the border of both nations is announced.
"I have formed a special team on Colombia to work, a very serious plan, for the progressive scheduled opening of the entire border, the opening to trade, to investment," he stressed.
Let us remember that on July 28, it was agreed during a meeting between the Venezuelan Foreign Minister, Carlos Farías, and the Minister of Foreign Affairs appointed by the current president Gustavo Petro reopen, gradually, the border between the two nations.
During this meeting, both delegations discussed 14 specific topics, among which the strengthening of commercial and economic exchange stands out.
Félix Plasencia has held different positions within the National Government, including:
- In 2012 he was appointed director of International Relations of the Mayor's Office of the Libertador Municipality of Caracas, and president of Fundapatrimonio.
- In 2014 he was appointed as director of protocol at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
- In 2016 Plasencia is appointed Vice Minister for Asia, the Middle East and Oceania.
- In 2018, he held the position of Deputy Minister for Multilateral Issues.
- In 2019 he was appointed by President Nicolás Maduro as Minister of Tourism and Foreign Trade.
- Between 2020 and 2021 he was the Venezuelan ambassador to China.
- On August 19, 2021, Nicolás Maduro appointed Plasencia as Foreign Minister of the Republic, replacing Jorge Arreaza.
- Currently, Félix Plasencia fulfills the role of president of the International Investment Center.