Kawasaki disease occurs in post-covid children

Specialists are still investigating what generates the cytokine storm.

“He stopped playing, he didn't want to eat, he just asked to be lying down” are the first symptoms reported by parents of children affected with Kawasaki disease, after having suffered from the Sar-CoV-2 virus in a mild to moderate way .

"I was confident, they all say that the virus is mild in children, that most are asymptomatic and I thought mine would be the same," said one of the mothers of the children affected by this syndrome who preferred not to reveal her data.

The sole health authority in Bolívar state, Franklin Franchi, reported that they have detected six children with Kawasaki syndrome in the Uyapar Hospital, located in the city of Puerto Ordaz, and highlighted that all the children have suffered from the covid virus. -19.

For his part, the governor of the state, Justo Noguera Pietri, called on the population to be alert to new variations of the virus, as well as the pathologies that can occur after the covid, such as the multisystem inflammatory syndrome that children have suffered mostly.

He stressed that of the children they have attended to, they have fallen ill very quickly and have developed heart complications, which have led them to attend them in the intensive care unit.

He also added that among the symptoms that the six children received at the Uyapar Hospital presented are fever for more than five days, swollen glands, acute abdominal pain, red eyes, lips and tongue, swelling in the hands and feet and a rash on whole body.

He specified that the incidence of this disease is 175 per 100.000 children under five years of age.

What is it? According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in the United States, multisystemic inflammatory syndrome in children (MIS-C) is a condition in which different parts of the body can become inflamed, including the heart , lungs, kidneys, brain, skin, eyes or gastrointestinal organs.

What causes MIS-C is unknown. However, 99% of the children who presented the syndrome had the covid-19 virus and the remaining 1% had contact with someone who had coronavirus.

Globally, an estimated one in 5.000 children with COVID-19 develops MS-C, according to a report from the UK's Royal School of Pediatrics and Child Health.

Although Kawasaki disease is classified as a serious condition, experts still have many unanswered questions about this disease such as what causes it and its link to covid-19.

They emphasize that it is treatable, so it is extremely important to detect it in time, to avoid complications and fatal outcomes.

Causes. Researchers are still studying the cause of the syndrome, but have pointed out that it consists of an excessive immune response related to the virus.

Kawasaki disease can occur in children and young people and without a history of other diseases. The first symptoms appear between three and six weeks after having suffered the covid-19 virus.

In this sense, the director of the Chilean Pediatric Emergency Society, Javier Bravo, explained that after suffering from the covid-19 infection, a disorder is generated, a deregulation of his own defense system that causes that inflammatory response known as " cytokine storm ”.

Cytokines are inflammatory chemical messengers that are triggered in response to an infection, this unleashes an uncontrolled response when there is no longer an infection.

Although there is no longer an enemy, the cells are ordered to attack and begin to call on other cells to undertake an exaggerated defense.

This reaction puts a lot of pressure on the body and puts a great strain on it, "as if I were running a marathon all day, the physical exhaustion is tremendous," Bravo said.

If the situation worsens, it can affect the heart, that wear and tear can lead to heart failure and even death.

Signs

Children with the disease tend to have had the Sars-CoV-2 virus, in a mild or moderate way, they can also be asymptomatic.

Most infants who developed the syndrome did not know they had the virus. This is because children have an immature immune system that does not generate as great a response during the period of Sars-CoV-2 virus infection. Parents should be alert after overcoming the virus, since 1% of those recovered have developed the syndrome. Among the serious complications developed are inflammation of tissues and organs such as the heart, lungs, kidneys, brain, skin or eyes. With good medical care, those affected quickly overcome the syndrome, however, some children quickly get worse, to the point of requiring intensive care.

 

SPONSORED LINKS

				
					<div class="fb-comments" data-href="<?php the_permalink(); ?>" data-width="100%" data-numposts="5">&nbsp;</div>
				
			
WP Twitter Auto Publish Powered By: XYZScripts.com