Floyd case: closing arguments to be heard next week

The final arguments in the trial against former white police officer Derek Chauvin for the death of African-American George Flody will be on Monday next week, Minneapolis (Minnesota, USA) judge Peter Cahill announced on Monday.

The magistrate, in addition, rejected a request from Chauvin's defense to isolate the twelve members of the jury from today with the intention that they are not influenced by the protests that Sunday night returned to shake Minneapolis after the death of a African American by Police shooting.

Cahill indicated that the jury will be isolated Monday, after final arguments, to begin their deliberations.

In order for the former police officer to be convicted, the twelve members of the jury must reach a unanimous verdict on one of the charges against him.

Chauvin, who was fired from the Minneapolis Police Department for Floyd's death, is charged with the crimes of second degree murder, punishable by up to 40 years in prison; murder in the third degree, with a maximum sentence of 25 years, and murder in the second degree, which carries up to 10 years of deprivation of liberty.

However, as he has no criminal record, he could only be sentenced to a maximum of 12 and a half years in prison for the first two charges and 4 years in prison for the third.

Floyd lost his life on May 25, 2020 when four officers tried to arrest him for using a counterfeit bill to pay at a store. During his arrest, Chauvin pinned him to the ground by pressing his knee against his neck until he stopped breathing.

Today marks the eleventh day of the Floyd death trial, which sparked the largest anti-racism protests in the US a year ago since the assassination of Martin Luther King Jr in the late 1960s.

This day of the trial is held after protests against police violence broke out last night in Brooklyn Center, northwest of Minneapolis, for the death of 20-year-old African-American Daunte Wright, who was allegedly shot by police during a traffic stop.

The protesters gathered in front of the Brooklyn Center Police Department and threw rocks and other objects at the building.

To disperse the protesters, the police used tear gas and rubber bullets, while the authorities decreed a curfew until 6.00 a.m. local time (11.00 a.m. GMT).




					<div class="fb-comments" data-href="<?php the_permalink(); ?>" data-width="100%" data-numposts="5">&nbsp;</div>