Argentina expects to receive "in the next few days" one million doses of the Chinese Sinopharm vaccine against covid-19, said Monday the new Minister of Health, Carla Vizzotti, who took office in the middle of a crisis after revealing the irregular vaccination of relatives to its predecessor.
"Work is being done to deliver one million doses of the Chinese vaccine in the next few days," the minister told Uncover radio. This vaccine received emergency authorization from the Ministry of Health on Sunday.
Vizzotti added that presidential adviser Cecilia Nicolini "is working in Russia to have an overview of the delivery dates (of new doses of Sputnik V vaccines)" while progress is being made to resolve "the delivery for the first days of March of the from AstraZeneca ”.
"As vaccines enter, the target population (of the vaccination campaign), which is 15 million people, can be vaccinated in a relatively short time," he said.
Argentina, with 44 million inhabitants, adds more than two million infections of covid-19 and reaches 51.000 deaths. So far, the country has received 1.220.000 doses of Sputnik V and 580.000 of Covishield, from the Indian Serum Institute.
The national health portfolio had 3.000 doses, which are in the Posadas public hospital, while the rest of the vaccines were distributed equally among the provinces that administer their own immunization plans.
"In no way were those 3.000 vaccines to cover a discretion of the ministry," said the official.
After holding a meeting this Monday with the Chief of Staff, Santiago Cafiero, Vizzotti instructed the Posadas hospital to "report the entire list of assigned appointments in the next few hours."
Vizzotti replaced Ginés González García on Saturday, whom President Alberto Fernández asked to resign after journalist Horacio Verbitsky, 79, told a radio program on Friday that he was able to get vaccinated thanks to his friendship with the former minister, causing a cataract of reactions and the separation of the official, a recognized sanitarista.
Some 13 complaints against the former minister were received this Monday in court for this case.
“The concept that there is a VIP vaccination in the Ministry of Health is false. What happened was a specific situation, that 10 people went to the Ministry of Health to be vaccinated and the president took the measures, "said the minister.