The Museum of Fine Arts celebrated this Saturday, February 20, the 83rd anniversary of the inauguration of its own headquarters, in the Museum Square.
Its foundation was given by the presidential decree of July 24, 1917. It functioned in the UCV and the Palace of the Academies before, in 1938, it was inaugurated in the neoclassical building of the architect Carlos Raúl Villanueva, decorated by another teacher, but of the arts plastic: Francisco Narváez.
Its initial collection came from the Círculo de Bellas Artes and it gradually grew and diversified. Now, it has several collections ranging from ancient Egyptian art; Chinese pottery; works on paper; paintings; sculptures and engravings, among others.
On October 15, 1976, an annex capacity (Modern building) also designed by illanueva opened to the public. Then, in 1977, he temporarily ceded the neoclassical building to the National Art Gallery (created in 1974) until it moved to its current headquarters on Avenida México, in Caracas.
The MBA also has a program of activities, which in these times of pandemic is adjusted with biosafety regulations, and adheres to virtual activities and weeks of flexibility.